The New York Mets’ discussions about demoting first baseman Ike Davis to the minor leagues are “intensifying,” and the 26-year-old could be sent down as soon as early next week, according to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin.
Davis has once again gotten off to a miserable start to the season, hitting .160 with 46 strikeouts and just six extra-base hits in 38 games. He hit .170 with just five home runs during the first two months of 2012.
The team’s front office is more eager to demote Davis than manager Terry Collins, who has “fought for Davis,” according to Rubin.
From the report:
One telltale sign a change may be coming: Andrew Brown played first base Friday with Triple-A Las Vegas after previously playing only outfield for the 51s this season. Brown actually has played more minor league games in his career at first base than any other position. He went 3-for-15 during a stint with the Mets that ended Monday when Rick Ankiel was signed.
Brown, who is on the 40-man roster, would need to remain in the minors for 10 days, so he could not be swapped for Davis until the middle of next week.
General manager Sandy Alderson told the New York Post‘s Mike Puma that the team has not set a timetable on the decision.
Ike Davis going to Triple-A at some point is a possibility. But as far as a deadline having been set, "we're not there yet," says the GM.—
Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) May 18, 2013
Just three years ago, Davis was considered one of baseball’s top prospects, hitting .264 with 19 home runs and a .791 OPS during his rookie season.
He rebounded from the slow start last year to hit 32 homers in 2012, but finished with a .227 batting average.