Report: Alex Rodriguez drops lawsuit against MLB, MLBPA
New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez voluntarily dropped his lawsuit against Major League Baseball, the MLB Players Association and Commissioner Bud Selig, reports the New York Daily News.
Rodriguez was seeking dismissal of a reduced 162-game suspension handed down by MLB last month, after arbitrator Fredric Horowitz lessened the original 211-game sentence to 162 games.
Horowitz said there was ”clear and convincing evidence” that Rodriguez used three banned substances and twice tried to obstruct the investigation.
Rodriguez’s representatives filed the lawsuit two days later after the suspension. They said at the time that the suit was based on Horowitz’s “manifest disregard for the law,” his “evident partiality,” and refusal “to entertain evidence that was pertinent and material to the outcome.” Major League Baseball and the Players’ Association responded today, via MLB.com:
“Alex Rodriguez has done the right thing by withdrawing his lawsuit. His decision to move forward is in everyone’s best interest,” MLBPA said in a statement.
“We have been informed that Alex. Rodriguez has reached the prudent decision to end all of the litigation related to the Biogenesis matter. We believe that Mr. Rodriguez’s actions show his desire to focus to the play of our great game on the field and to all of the positive attributes and actions of his fellow Major League Players. We share that desire,” MLB said in a statement.
Friday was the deadline for Rodriguez to respond to the MLB and MLBPA’s request to throw out the lawsuit.
Rodriguez, 38, only played in 44 games for the Yankees last season after two hip surgeries.