State attorney does not expect Jameis Winston to speak with investigators
William Meggs, state attorney, told USA Today Sports that he does not expect Florida State quarterback to Jameis Winston to speak with investigators about about an alleged sexual assault that took place Dec. 7, 2012.
The incident has resurfaced this past week, and investigators will now be faced with an 11-month delay on the case. From USA Today’s report:
“You can’t compel him to talk,” Meggs said. “He has a right against self-incrimination, so I doubt very seriously we’re going to get a statement from Jameis Winston.”
Meggs, an attorney with the Second Judicial Circuit in Tallahassee, said the case did not follow normal protocol. Meggs said he was surprised he didn’t learn about the case when it was filed with the Tallahassee Police Department in December. From the report:
“Since it’s now been dumped in our laps, we’re going to make sure it is properly investigated,” Meggs said Friday morning at his office in downtown Tallahassee. “Whether it has been so far, I don’t know.”
Meggs added that he had not read the entire report, which has been heavily redacted and does not outright identify Winston as a suspect. From USA Today:
“Our job is to protect the rights of the victim and the rights of the defendant,” Meggs said. “We will try to do both of those things and seek and achieve a fair result.”
For now, Florida State has made no change to Winston’s status on the team. The quarterback led the Seminoles 59-3 win over Syracuse, completing 19 of 21 attempts for 277 yards and two touchdowns.