Posted November 04, 2013

Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez denies testing positive for stimulant

MLB
 Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez filed his second lawsuit this week, accusing a team doctor of malpractice. (Getty Images)

Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez hit seven homers and drove in 19 runs in 44 games last season. (Getty Images)

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez denied a New York Times report that said he tested positive for a banned stimulant in 2006.

Rodriguez’s attorney sent a statement to several organizations, including USA Today, refuting the Times report. That year was the first that amphetamines and other stimulants were placed on Major League Baseball’s banned substance list.

Rodriguez is appealing his 211-game suspension handed down by MLB earlier this year for his alleged involvement in the Biogenesis case. The case is currently in arbitration.

MLB had no comment regarding the statement.

CORCORAN: New York Times report alleges A-Rod tested positive for banned stimulant in 2006

Alex Rodriguez was never suspended for use of stimulants,” Rodriguez’s attorney Jim McCarroll said in a statement. He has passed all tests under the MLB drug program. “This is the 1st time this has ever been brought to our attention by MLB. The fact that MLB has resorted to leaking federally protected medical information about a player speaks volumes of the weakness of their case against Alex — and their desperation to secure a win in the arbitration, at all costs.

“Alex has abided by the confidentiality rules of the arbitration process. MLB has not. In response to MLB’s incessant leaks, Alex recently has even gone so far as to offer that the proceeding be opened to the media, so as to even the playing field — an offer which MLB promptly rejected, as they prefer to continue their one-sided flow of leaks, rather than having the weakness of their case exposed publicly by full and fair coverage. Every new step MLB takes wreaks (sic) of desperation, in its obsessive effort to bring Alex down.”


0 comments