Mardy Fish withdraws from U.S. Open citing personal reasons
Mardy Fish announced Wednesday that he has withdrawn from the U.S. Open in New York, according to the Associated Press. The draw for the tournament is scheduled for Thursday with the Grand Slam expected to begin Aug. 26.
The USTA said Fish made the decision for personal reasons. The 31-year-old also took to Twitter to relay the message, saying the reason is due to his health.
The news comes a day after Fish stopped play because of a heat stroke in the third set of a match against Jarkko Nieminen during a hard-court tournament in North Carolina. Over his past two seasons, he’s taken off months at a time due to various health issues, playing only eight matches on the ATP World Tour this year. He finished 3-5.
Earlier in August, Fish said his issues right now are both mental and physical and didn’t want to make any promises as to when he will play next, according to the AP report:
“It’s a little bit of both. A lot of it’s mental, what I went through, and obviously a little bit of it was physical, too. I can’t say it any differently than: It’s just going to be a day-to-day thing right now.”
Fish’s highest ranking came in 2011 when he was No. 7. He has six career titles, but none are at a Grand Slam.
Friends, unfortunately my health won't allow me to compete this year at the US Open. Thank you for all your support.—
Mardy Fish (@MardyFish) August 21, 2013