Johan Santana ‘isn’t going out like this,’ intends to sign with a team this winter
New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana believes he will one day play again and is shooting for a spring training return with the hopes of signing another MLB contract this winter, according to a report Tuesday from New York Daily News reporter Andy Martino.
In June 2012, the 34-year-old Venezuelan threw the Mets’ first no-hitter in franchise history in his eleventh start after returning from shoulder surgery in 2010. He finished the season going 0-5 in July and August and recorded a 16.33 ERA after the All-Star break before the Mets decided to put him on the disabled list. The two-time Cy Young award winner re-tore his shoulder capsule earlier this year, and in April underwent a season-ending surgery that was widely believed to be a potential career-ender.
According to the report on Tuesday, Santana’s agent, Chris Leible, said his client remains steadfast on playing somewhere next season and intends on signing with a team this winter, shortly after his six-year, $137.5 million contract with the Mets expires. Santana hasn’t played in more than a year, pitching in a game in August 2012 against the Washington Nationals in which he gave up six runs in five innings. The Mets diagnosed him this past spring training with a re-tear of the left anterior shoulder capsule.
The four-time all-star, once the highest paid pitcher in the MLB after inking the six-year deal, reportedly told Leible that he “isn’t going out like this,” according to the report.