Posted July 17, 2013

Pac-12 CEOs question for-profit Grand Canyon’s move to Division I

Pac-12 officals question Grand Canyon's entrance into Division I. (Courtesy GCU)

Pac-12 Conference officials question Grand Canyon University’s entrance into Division I. (Courtesy GCU)

Pac-12 Conference CEOs sent a letter to the NCAA seeking answers about the admittance of for-profit schools to Division I, reports.

Phoenix-based Division II Grand Canyon University looks to be target of the letter.

Grand Canyon University began transition to Division I on June 1 and will join the Western Athletic Conference in basketball next season and be eligible for the NCAA tournament in 2017-18.

Grand Canyon is a private, Christian-based public-traded institution with almost 8,500 full-time undergraduate students. Division I basketball has more than 340 members.

“It’s gotten on the radar of our schools and are trying to raise it as a policy issue as to whether for-profit schools ought to be playing Division I athletics, or not, before there are any,” Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said. “It’s always hard to put the genie back in the bottle. Tt’s not about Grand Canyon. It’s about institutions whether they should be granted membership to Division I. This issue has been flagged by our presidents as something as they think the NCAA board and the membership more broadly ought to really think about just before letting it happen.”

“We are an investment-based model institution,” Grand Canyon athletic director Keith Baker said. “Operating as a for-profit model, we don’t get tax breaks.”


Maybe you guys should know what you're talking about before you go on this whole anti-Christianity thing. The school was actually acquired by an edcuational company which runs for-profit universities. The ethos of the school hasn't changed, but they do operate to make money.

I am neither a Christian nor associated with Grand Canyon, but this anti-Christian tone is really lazy of you.


A for-profit Christian-based university?  I know big churches are big business, but they usually disguise it pretty well.  I've never heard of a for profit Christian school.


@Action I was thinking the same thing.  That sounds really Christ-like to me.  I remember something about a needle and a camel.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised -- 95% of American Christianity really is just coming up with excuses to make lots of money and not feel guilty about it.  The other 5% is about trying to get science classes in public schools to teach the the Earth is 6,000 years old and that humans and dinosaurs really did live together.