Victor Cruz offer sheet ‘probable’ from new team, Giants’ chairman says
New York Giants chairman and executive vice president Steve Tisch told reporters Sunday that it was “probable” another team would make restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz an offer.
The New York Post’s Bart Hubbuch reported that Tisch is expecting another team to make the 26-year-old Cruz an offer.
“We’re going to go as far as we can go to keep him on the team,” Tisch added, according to Newsday’s Tom Rock.
Because Cruz is a restricted free agent, the Giants can match any offer another team gives Cruz. Last week, the Giants placed a first-round tender on Cruz, meaning they would get a first-round draft pick as compensation if he signs with another team.
Tisch also said, according to Hubbuch, that he expects Cruz to get a better offer than the approximately $6 million per year average handed out recently to free agents Wes Welker (by the Denver Broncos) and Danny Amendola (by the New England Patriots).
The Indianapolis Colts, one team looking to add another wide receiver, are not targeting Cruz, owner Jim Irsay told reporters Sunday.
When the Giants placed a first-round tender on Cruz, Giants co-owner John Mara said that he was hopeful the two sides could work out a long-term deal. But he acknowledged that the team had limits.
“He’s been a great player for us,” Mara said. “Like we do with all of our players, there’s a limit as to how far we’re going to go on a contract because you’ve got to pay 53. If the money goes over that limit, then we have to make a decision.”
Tisch says he expects a team will make an offer to Cruz: “We’re going to go as far as we can go to keep him on the team.”
— Tom Rock (@TomRock_Newsday) March 17, 2013
Tisch predicts that Victor Cruz will command more than the $6M-per-year average that fellow slot WRs Welker and Amendola just got.
— Bart Hubbuch (@HubbuchNYP) March 17, 2013
Jim Irsay: “it’s not Cruz, no” when asked if Victor Cruz is WR he’s targeting
— Jim Corbett (@ByJimCorbett) March 17, 2013