Posted March 12, 2013

Cris Carter: Vikings are ‘better off’ without Percy Harvin

NFL
Vikings Hall of Famer Cris Carter said the team was better off without Percy Harvin because of his high salary and likelihood of getting injured. (Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)

The Vikings are better off without Percy Harvin because of his high salary and likelihood of getting injured, according to Hall of Famer Cris Carter. (Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)

Former Vikings receiver and recent inductee into the Hall of Fame, Cris Carter, said he approved of the trade that sent Percy Harvin to the Seahawks. The Vikings sent Harvin to the Seahawks in exchange for Seattle’s 2013 first-round selection and two other draft picks on Monday.

Carter commented to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

“I think the organization did the right thing,” said Carter. “I’m not surprised, given the situation with him not being happy and there being so little chance of a contract extension for the type of money he wants. So they’re better off, especially with a young quarterback, trading Percy and getting something for him compared to going through the season rolling the dice.”

Carter also mentioned Harvin’s high salary requirements and injury risk:

“They’re able to keep their salary cap intact rather than paying $11 million to $13 million a year to a guy that you don’t know how much he’s going to play. With Percy’s style, he’s going to get hurt. And don’t forget, the Vikings also had a lot of success without Percy at the end of last season.”

Harvin, 24, played in nine games last season and had 677 receiving yards with three touchdowns. He also served as one of the team’s kick returners, averaging 35.9 yards per return.


9 comments
Eli....
Eli....

Going to miss Harvin but have to agree with Carter. The one I wish we hadn't traded is Rice. I liked Harvin more but once a player is that unhappy, he's the same as damaged goods.

controlledburn
controlledburn

Hey CNNSI how can you even allow someone like Bernard4 to post on this site? To say that sort of ignorance and hatred makes all sports fans and your website look bad is an understatement. If B4 can't accept the fact we live in a diverse country he needs to get the hell out!

Daryl Sturdivant
Daryl Sturdivant

Chris Carter sucks if you ask me.  Why the world thinks he has good opinions is beyond me.  Wasn't that good as a player and still wondering how he made the hall.  Vikings Suck!  And always will

Bernard4
Bernard4

Percy Harvin= your typical N*gger athlete.

Can_of_Corn
Can_of_Corn

@Daryl Sturdivant not that great? You're right he retired 2nd all-time in receptions and TDs. 130 TDs while playing w bad QBs? That guy sucks!

Aaron4
Aaron4

 @Bernard4 Why do you have to do that?  There are plenty of jackas.ses of all colors.  Favre and Roethlesburger are both less-than-adequate human beings, but no one harshed on them for their skin color.

 

Further, you're flat-out wrong: if this were "typical," it wouldn't be a story.  It's because it happens so rarely - I can think of maybe half-a-dozen stories like this over the past few years - that it's newsworthy.

Bernard4
Bernard4

 @Aaron4 I don't recall Farve or Rothelisberger beating the hell out of their wives, getting drunk & killing their so called best friend teammates, driving drunk & killing pedestrians like that N*ggr in Miami a few years ago. Hey the NFL like Basketball is predominately black & they all seem to whack their girls. wives around, do drugs & drink.

John197
John197

 @Bernard4  @Aaron4 you my friend are an idiot.  as you mentioned it is predominately black.  So think of things you learned in school like sample size and averages.  if 80% of the nfl is black leaving 20% white and 20 black people commit some of the crimes you speak of while 2 white ppl do, what does that tell you?  are you so dumb that you think this is a valid argument to judge weather blacks are more likely to commit said acts?? this is the data your using to determine it?  now if the nfl where 50-50 white and black and the numbers where the same you may be on to something there but no you arent your just a mental midget.