Posted February 12, 2013

Scott Rolen will not go to camp with Reds

MLB

Cincinnati Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Tuesday that third baseman Scott Rolen will not attend the team’s spring training camp.

Rolen said he was not ready to commit to the Reds but was keeping his options open, “without closing any doors.’

Speculation had centered around whether Rolen would retire or return to the Reds after making the last out in Game 5 of the NLDS last year.

Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that some in the Reds’ front office believe Rolen is still the team’s best third baseman, despite the presence of Todd Frazier and off-season acquisition of Jack Hannahan.

Rolen has hit .281 with 316 home runs and 1,287 RBIs in 17 Major League seasons with Philadelphia, St. Louis, Toronto and Cincinnati.


1 comments
metalhead65
metalhead65

well he may as well have announced he is retired because who else besides walt and dusty would want a 38 year old third baseman whose back is liable to go out on him at any time? but he is being smart about it because he knows after the first time Frasier has an ofer the reds will be calling him and he will be the starting third baseman again.