David Ortiz: Red Sox season a ‘disaster all the way around’
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz called Boston’s season a “disaster all the way around” Monday, but defended manager Bobby Valentine from taking the brunt of the blame.
“Some people want to blame the manager, some people want to blame the front office, some people want to blame players,” Ortiz told reporters in New York, according to ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes. “Even you guys as reporters have something to carry, something to do with all the (expletive). We’re all involved. We all need to know it’s going to get better.
“Blame is not one guy. This is something we did as a group. It’s a chain, a chain reaction. I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s Bobby’s fault, the way we failed this year. I don’t think it’s fair at all. He can tell us what to do, but after that we are in charge.”
With a 10-2 loss to the Yankees on Monday, the Red Sox ensured a 90-loss season for the first time since 1966. For the last month of what has turned into a meaningless season for the Red Sox, speculation has centered on whether Boston will fire Valentine after one season on the job. Even the Massachusetts Senate candidates were asked their opinions in a debate Monday night.
While admitting the “disaster” of a lost season, however, chose to refrain from any speculation on Valentine’s future.
“To me, personally, I don’t care who my manager is,” Ortiz said. “I’m old enough to know what I’ve got to do, what my routine is, what my problems are, what are my goals. I might be the best piece of cake a manager can ever have. I go about my business, man. I know the rules.
“That’s why you never heard anybody say, ‘Papi was late, Papi was doing this or that.’ I know the rules. Even if they’re not in your face 24/7, you know they are there. I follow the rules.”