Posted June 25, 2012

Brett Favre on New Orleans Saints bounty on him: ‘I really don’t care’

NFL

Even though he was knocked around by the Saints in the 2010 NFC Championship game, Brett Favre said he doesn’t care if they had a “bounty” on him. (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Brett Favre was one of the players the New Orleans Saints targeted in their bounty program. In fact, the NFL revealed Monday that the prize for knocking Favre out of the 2010 NFC Championship game was an astounding $35,000.

But on Friday, in his first comments on the situation, Favre told the NFL Network’s Deion Sanders he doesn’t care if the Saints keyed in on taking him out of the game. Favre said the Minnesota Vikings’ loss in that game sticks more with him.

“My feeling, and I mean this wholeheartedly, is that I really don’t care. What bothers me is we didn’t win the game. And they didn’t take me out of the game. They came close, but a lot of people have come close. I’m too stubborn to come out. Plus, that was kind of a big game. I’m not going to sit the last three minutes. I’m going to go out there with bones sticking out of the skin, I’m going to finish it.”

The NFL said Monday that Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered “two five-stacks” — $10,000 — to knock Favre out of the game. The league said that Saints coaches, among others, had confirmed the bounty and its amount.

The $35,000 consisted of four pledges: $10,000 each from Vilma, former Saints defensive lineman Charles Grant, and Mike Ornstein, an outsider and convicted felon who the NFL alleges was also involved. Saints assistant coach Joe Vitt put in $5,000.

The NFL last week showed video of Vitt telling his defense that Favre was out of the game with a broken ankle after a vicious hit from Anthony Hargrove, after which Hargrove requested “the money.” But Favre stayed in the game, and Hargrove ended up being fined $5,000.