Junior QB Rob Bolden has not asked to be released from his scholarship and plans to remain at Penn State, his high school position coach told the Centre Daily Times.
Teammates had said last week that Bolden had not attended any team functions since the Blue-White game on April 21 and reports surfaced that he was not on campus for the start of summer classes, but Nittany Lions sports information director Jeff Nelson told the Centre Daily that Bolden is back in town.
Bolden completed just 53 of 135 passes (39.3 percent) last fall for 685 yards, with two TDs and seven INTs, in a backup role to rising senior Matt McGloin. He had asked for a release a year ago but was denied by former coach Joe Paterno. Bolden eventually agreed to remain in State College but still was unable to lock down the starting position, and his three-INT showing in the Blue-White game doesn’t bode well for his future under new coach Bill O’Brien.